1. 1 lb. pork (i usually used pork belly or pork hocks), cut into serving pieces
2. 1 cup water
3. 3 cloves garlic, crushed
4. 1/3 cup vinegar
5. 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
6. 1/4 cup soy sauce
7. 1 bay leaf
8. 1/4 tsp. pepper or 1 tsp. peppercorns
9. 1 tsp. oil
10. salt to taste
11. 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered (optional)
hard-boiled eggs (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients in a big pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for about an hour or until pork belly or hocks is tender. You may wish to adjust the taste according to your style and liking.
2. If you want to add some potatoes and hard-boiled eggs in this dish, potatoes usually cook about 15 minutes. It’s up to you whether you like it very soft or just tender to bite. You may add it halfway of the cooking time or later. As for the eggs let it sits for a few minutes before its done to let the sauces covered into it.